Monday 7 March 2011

Finian updates after PWA Vietnam

Finian gybing on the inside
Findog takes the last race

PWA Slalom Event in Vietnam is over and RRD team fight hard for the top spot of the slalom ranking,
but in the end didn't turn out with the desired team result: Finian finished in 6th position, Julien Quentel was looking for a top 10 spot but he suffered an early start in the first round of the 4th slalom so he finished 13th...
Pascal Toselli ended 23rd and Jesper Orth 32nd...

Anyway... here you can find the words from our top rider Finian Maynard:

"Hi all. I am currently in Tokyo Narita airport on my way back to Maui. The first PWA slalom in Vietnam wasn't as successful as I had planned although I had good speed on the new boards. In the 1st round we tried 6 times to get a result, in the first five attempts I was in the top 3 each time before the cancellations. It was typical that on the 6th go I got a bad start and couldn't recover in the choppy water
and light wind to finish 8th. 



In the 2nd round semifinal I was way ahead at the first mark with excellent speed but I simply could not plane away from the mark, the wind was very light and under the limit in my opinion so I didn't qualify which was disappointing, but that is racing. I finished 2nd in the loser's final. In round 3 I had a bad start in the semifinal and couldn't recover quick enough as the legs coming into the beach were very upwind indeed making it almost impossible to get to my top speed potential for a comeback. Round 4 was a success with a bullet win.


In summary, I am very pleased with how the boards feel this year.  Although this regatta didn't turn out with the desired result I am certain I will be very competitive when we get back together at the next event in Korea. In the meantime, I will be training hard and looking to be as ready as possible for the summer legs of the tour. Best Regards, Finian"

No comments:

Post a Comment