Tuesday 3 August 2010

Johnny won Cabrinha Race Series July 29



I raced in the Cabrinha race series last night in San Francisco and won the night. I rode my 9m Addiction which proved to be the best kite on the course!

It was a great evening, blowing about 25 kts at the start of the first race. The boat end of the line was favored but most people chose to start on port at the pin so they could head out toward the favorable current. I decided to be conservative and start at the boat, which proved to be the right move. I won the boat end, led to the middle of the course at tacked on top of the fleet toward layline. After rounding the weather mark in first I stuck the nose in and cartwheeled, letting 2 or 3 guys catch me. From there I battled hard to regain my lead by the leeward mark and hold on to it for the win.
The second race was a similar story. I was in 4th at the weather mark, but gained big on the downwind and rounded in the lead just ahead of Chip Wasson and Geoff Headington. They had a pretty bad tangle right behind me and I got a comfortable lead to the finish.
The last race was a little more interesting. I stuck to the boat end start which had worked well the last two races, but this time Stefaans and Kevin port tacked the fleet. Stefaans rounded in first, far ahead of Kevin and I who rounded overlapped. I split with both of them on the downwind and pushed as hard as I could in the waist high chop. I again caught up a lot, rounding the leeward mark right behind Stefaans. We had a battle to the finish and I got him by no more than a board length at the line. Three 1st's for the night!

Here is a link to the Waterhound article about the racing and a few pictures.
http://www.waterhound.com/cabrinha-kiteboard-racing-july-29th-to-win-you-must-be-upright.html


Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment